My passions in life include my faith in God, my family, American history, and a good road trip.

Click here for the scoop on why there is no Interstate 50.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Isaiah class concluded

The last of our ten weekly classes with Brother Avraham Gileadi on the book of Isaiah was held on Thursday evening, December 17, in Provo. With the rush of the holidays, my catching a cold that has persisted since the beginning of the new year, its morphing into a sinus infection this past week, and incredible busyness at work, I have never taken an opportunity to craft a final report on the experience.

In previous posts I have reported on specific content from eight of the weekly classes. Those posts, particularly the summary from the ninth class, offer a reasonable overview of what we covered.

There were also intangible benefits from our enrollment in the class. I greatly appreciated spending five or so hours every Thursday evening driving to and from Provo and attending the class with my first-born son Michael, together with the time the two of us spent at the end of the evening, by which time it was way past my normal bedtime, discussing some of what we learned with his mother and my wife, Claudia. I also greatly appreciated sitting at the feet of such an eminent Isaiah scholar seeking to understand and comprehend his various insights concerning Isaiah's teachings about the end of times. A good way to increase understanding is to come at a topic from fresh approaches and to consider viewpoints that lift you out of the routine ruts that you are accustomed to traveling in.

It was a good class. And I am grateful that we chose to participate.

No comments: